The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), which manages the retirement fund savings of crores of salaried individuals subscribed to the EPFO under the EPF & MP Act, 1952 has announced the extension of deadline and advised all its subscribers to add their respective nominees via the e-nomination filing facility on the EPFO subscriber portal. Originally, the deadline for adding nominee details was set to 31st December 2021, but due to issues plaguing the EPFO portal, many subscribers could not update their nomination details and thus the EPFO has extended the deadline. EPFO subscribers were also asked to link their Aadhaar card number to their UAN.
The EPFO did not specify the date of the new extended deadline but announced the extension of the deadline via a tweet, the EPFO states that the filing of nomination should be done as soon as possible because it is critical so that the subscriber’s spouse, children, parents can be safeguarded via their pension fund, online provident fund & insurance benefits in case of any mishap leading to sudden demise of the subscriber. Once nominee details are updated, the nominee(s) will receive the benefits from subscriber’s account. If the subscriber has not updated the details of their nominee, the benefits of the EPF account cannot be given to any beneficiaries.
The EPFO made the decision to extend the deadline after many EPF subscribers took to Twitter & other social media platforms to express their grievances and issues they were facing while trying to upload details of their nominations. Many users were facing an issue where the portal would display an error message after they enter all the details of the nominee and hit submit. The EPFO portal issues will be worked upon and fixed by the EPFO but subscribers are advised to fill their nomination details as the extension deadline is unknown, the process to add a nominee online is given below:
How to Add Nominee Online via e-Nomination for EPF Account
- Go to the official EPFO website at epfindia.gov.in
- Select the ‘Service’ option from the options list.
- A new list of options will open and then choose the – ‘For Employees’ option.
- Choose the ‘Member UAN/Online Services (OCS/OTP)’ link.
- Login with your subscriber UAN & your password.
- Click on the ‘e-Nomination’ option under the ‘Manage’ tab.
- A new ‘Provide Details’ tab will open, click on ‘Save’.
- Click on ‘Yes’ option to update family declaration & details.
- Select the ‘Add Family Details’ option and fill in the details in the right fields, each subscriber can add more than one nominee.
- Select ‘Nomination Details’ to declare the total amount of share for each nominee and then click on ‘Save EPF nomination’ after finishing.
- Finally click on ‘E-Sign’ to generate OTP to your mobile number registered to your UAN & Aadhaar. Enter the OTP received and click ‘submit’.
- After entering OTP, your e-nomination will be updated and registered with EPFO.
Note – Subscribers need not send any documents to their current employer or ex-employer for updating nominee details.